I'm not sure I can do a push-up.

Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

It's exercise AND diet. Celery with dates, almonds, and Parmesan

Before I became pregnant, I never really thought about my size. I guess that's a privilege of being small. I knew I felt good when I exercised and I didn't really have to really pay attention to what I ate as far as calories go. I craved fresh fruits and veggies. I could eat a spoonful of ice cream and be satisfied. I enjoyed drinking water.
Enter pregnancy:
I didn't want fruits or vegetables. I didn't want to eat at all. Then I realized I was starving and I ate whatever I could get my paws on. I ate bowls of ice cream every day. I didn't workout.
I justified my lifestyle by thinking that it didn't matter how big I got, I could work it off after my baby was born. 
Clearly, that's not working out so well for me. Three months in, and I'm still feeling very blimp-like. I don't feel like buying ANOTHER wardrobe. (Blazer, yes. Wardrobe, no.) So I started going to this class, which stirred something strange in me: A desire for salad. For fresh fruits. For water.

Here's something ABSOLUTELY delicious that isn't 900 calories:


Celery salad with dates, almonds, and Parmesan.

Thank you, Bon Appetite!
Evidently there are dishes out these involving celery that I actually want to eat!

Here's the deal:
1/2 cup raw almonds
8 celery stalks, thinly sliced on a diagonal, leaves separated (yeah, it uses the leaves! I feel so grown up.)
6 dates, pitted, coarsely chopped
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
2oz. Parmesan, shaved (which I did not have. I used Parrano because I am obsessed with it and it's what I had. It never disappoints)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Crushed red pepper flakes

Toast almonds in oven at 350 degrees on a rimmed baking pan for 8-10 minutes. (Toasted nuts are my new favorite thing because of their deeper flavor.) Once cool, coarsely chop.
Toss almonds, dates, celery, celery leaves with salt and pepper. Add Parmesan and oil. Mix. Season with red pepper flakes. Enjoy!

I put leftovers in the refrigerator and a happy to report that, 24 hours later, it still tastes just as good as it did the first time and is still crunchy (no soggy nuts!).

1 comment:

  1. Especially seniors think dating at their age is impossible. They will say I am too old, not interesting, who want to spend time with me if virtual space is for tech-savvy youngsters? Sounds similar? Go to Sofia Date and see the difference. Mature Slavic women are waiting for their men, and it very easy to use the site. The system will do everything for you. offline dating

    ReplyDelete