I'm not sure I can do a push-up.

Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

And that's why I need back up

I heard a friend once say that he didn't need a back up plan. He figured that as long as he had a Plan B, he wouldn't put as much energy into Plan A. 
The thought made sense to me. 
It worked for me for like, five minutes.
My need to plan and think things through prevented me from ever really letting go of plan B.
Except when it came to 30/30.
I had no back up plan.
I was just gonna do it, you know?

Despite living in my sister's house, AKA The Den Of Sickness, for over a week, I never thought about getting sick.
So, as you may imagine, I was totally unprepared for catching the plague. 
What started out as a runny nose quickly became a hoarse bark/ hacking cough/ I sounded like I was going to die. When I finally went to the doctor a week ago, determined to not be sick at the start of the semester, she laughed at me and told me I had at least five days till the barking stopped. 
My doctor laughed at me. I think we should be friends. Immediately. 
And that sexy post-nasal drip voice? It was going to be around awhile, so I may as well get used to it.
I asked her if she bought into the old runner's wisdom that if you had a head cold, go ahead and run. However, if it was in the lungs, take a rest day. 
She looked at me, really confused. 
You actually run? she asked.
Good luck with that. was the best advice she had to offer.
Best. Doctor. Ever.

As I walked back to the other end of campus, gasping for air, it did occur to me that running might not be possible, never mind not being the best idea.
So I took the day off. 
And the next day.
And then a week went by.
And then more.
And then I turned into a giant slug.

Which is clearly why I need a back up plan.

Ever so slowly, the need to gasp for air has decreased. My sexy voice has pretty much disappeared, and I'm now coughing every five minutes instead of every two.
Which tells me that it is time to get back to ass kicking mode. (This time I expect it to be a physical ass kicking instead of a mental one.)

When 5 o'clock came around this morning, I actually thought about crying.
It's so bloody early!
But I was able to drag my ass out of bed. And I actually got a good workout in, despite my lungs screaming at their inability to cough while running.

If you find a lung scrub brush, will you let me know?
Meanwhile, I am going to try to give this 30/30 thing a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment