I'm not sure I can do a push-up.

Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Boot Camp? Boot Camp!

I've been a runner since... ah, well, pretty much since forever. This is not to say that I'm any good at it. It just seems easier than chasing a ball, or trying to prevent balls from flying at my head. Keeping one foot in front of the other is enough for me, thank you.
So I spent the fall and winter running 5 half marathons. I did about one a month, with mediocre results. I mean, I'm glad I did them, but I was hoping to get faster. (This did not happen!) In fact, I developed pain in my right knee that was excruciating! At the last one in March,  I was barely able to hobble the second half of the race. I took a month off, hoping it would go away.
It did not. Not with ice, not with rest, not with drugs. (OTC ones, people. Sheesh! I'm not that kinda girl.)
I've been feeling fat, and my core is weak. Maybe more like sluggish. Please understand that I use the term "fat" VERY loosely. A ten pound weight gain, for me, means going up somewhere between one and two pant sizes. And I just don't have that much room in my closet for pant storage.
Anyhoo, I went to see a chiropractor. Good news: my knee no longer hurts. Turns out, my scoliosis twists my back as though Iam always pulling my left shoulder across my body toward my right hip. My job is now to keep my core strong and prevent that twist/ collapse which leads to hip tightening and knee pain from compensation.
Aaaand how the crap am I going to do this???
Insert chiropractor, who gave me some exercises, which were nearly impossible to make myself do. Make that totally impossible.
So as I'm trying to figure out how to do these stupid exercises, and my awesome sister, Molly (whose blog you can read here), reminds me about boot camp. She gained a rockin body wicked fast with The American Boot Camp Company.
I (gulp!) signed up. To workout. At 5:45. IN THE MORNING.
I think I may die.

No comments:

Post a Comment