I'm not sure I can do a push-up.

Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Bring a Friend to Work(out) Day

I always loved "go to work with your parents" day in school. I loved that I got to see into my dad's secret world of ties and briefcases. I remember being very surprised at the drawings and pictures he had in his office. A painted paper plate on a popsicle stick, a piece of construction paper with stick figures of our family, and a toilet paper tube with streamers that may or may not have once been a turkey sat on the top shelf of his bookcase.

I remember Dad being concerned about my being in the way or bored when he was on a conference call. I remember being nervous and excited at the same time. I also remember trying not to make an ass out of myself.

This morning at boot camp we had "bring a friend to boot camp" day.  All those feelings of wonder, excitement, nerves, and the never achieved goal of trying not to make an ass out of myself came rushing back as I looked around in the pre-dawn light and realized everyone else had similar feelings. 

At least, those of us awake enough to have feelings.

I like Bring A Friend Day. I like the new faces (says the girl who has been going to boot camp so few days she can count them on one hand!) and the added excitement in the air. I guess that's the deal with special days- they can't be everyday because then what's special? How does the day stand out? I mean, most of my childhood schooling is a big ol' blur. Except, of course, for the two days I went to work with my dad.

Also? I really like coffee after camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment