I'm not sure I can do a push-up.

Pages

Friday, August 5, 2011

The gauntlet

Today we ran the gauntlet.

"Running the gauntlet (originally gantlet, and, rarely, gantlope or gantelope) is a form of physical punishment wherein a captive is compelled to run between two rows—a gauntlet—of soldiers who strike him as he passes." 

(Thanks, Wikipedia!)

Yes, there was running. 
Yes, it was punishing.
No, there were no soldiers waiting to strike me down.
Yes, I feel like jello.
Yes, I thought I might die.
No, I did not die. (!!!!)

I did get songs stuck in my head. At least for the running part.
But I always get song in my head when running.
During a particularly tough section of a half marathon a few years ago, three women were on the side of the road singing "ain't nobody gonna break my stride, oh no! I've go to keep on moving..."
I've sung it ever since.
Today it was Band of Skulls "I Know What I Am".

The exercise stations required counting, which takes a lot of focus. 
Especially before sun-up.

Focus I don't have.
Which meant stating over. 
Or realizing I was supposed to to 18 of an exercise when I'd done 30. 

Oops.

Can I get a counter thingy for next time?

I can hear one of my coaches now "Or you could just learn how to count".
Yeah,  thanks...

Wikipedia goes on to say that in some cases, those that made it through the gauntlet were forgiven for their crimes.

Oh, and hey- I learned why it is important to take a day off once in awhile.
Usually I get my ass kicked by almost everyone in camp.
Today I was the first one through.
(What is happening?!?!)

I tell you this because if I can do it, so can you.
No, it's not easy. 
But the best things never are.

 Another 4 week session of boot camp starts Monday.
Maybe I'll see you there?

For registration information, go here.

1 comment:

  1. damn you badass, girl. srsly. this makes me SO sad that i'm not there to workout with you, and SO proud of you that you're kicking so much ass!!! Love you so much.

    ReplyDelete