I'm not sure I can do a push-up.

Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

My mom could beat up your mom.

So my mom turned 65 the other day. 
We went out to eat to celebrate and catch up.
I have to say, my mom looks FANTASTIC!
Not "fantastic for her age" or some other bullshit you make up to try to make someone feel better about not looking 20 40. She looks straight up Wow. 
She's been doing an exercise program for a couple of months now...

Fifteen years ago she couldn't do a push up. Not one. Not even a modified one. Not even a little bit.
It was her fiftieth birthday. She thought she should have a beer. We thought she should do a push up. She discovered she still hated beer and that a push up was a physical impossibility.
When we met for brunch on her 65th birthday, I discovered she can do 40 push ups- in a minute! She can dead lift her body weight. She has a nicely defined line running down the side of her triceps-without flexing.
In short, should kick my ass.

Which is a problem. 
I'm not trying to get my butt kicked by my mom!
It is time to step up this game. 

(On the plus side, I do like the idea of her being here awhile...)

The workout was taken to the next level this morning. My limbs felt alien in their weight. And jumping? What?! Don't you know my hood name is White Girl Can't Jump!?
Wait. Jump up, then run? Who you foolin'?
NO.WAY.

Instructors say "bring it", I say "it has been brought en".
(Or however you say it.)
Yeah.
It was that kind of day.

It's hard to slack when four people who know you can push harder are cheering you on.
You should come see what I mean this Thursday- for free.
See you at 5:30 on the corner of 10th and Argonne!
x.

1 comment:

  1. oh MAN. Reading this makes me miss you more than I can say! AWESOMENESS. and if it makes you feel any better, you could definitely kick MY ass. :) happy b'day Mama! love you sis. xo

    ReplyDelete