I'm not sure I can do a push-up.

Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Snacks

So my awesome coach sends out these emails a couple of times a week. They are designed to keep us scrubs motivated and they include everything from injury prevention (I totes almost wrote "exercise prevention") to diet tips. My favorite email is the one where all the coaches chimed in on their favorite snack recipe. 
Their suggestions ran the gamut.

"Take cheese, and wrap it with meat" was my favorite. 
Mostly because it is never going to happen. 

The chana masala, though, has real potential. 
As does the sweet potato with cheese. Especially with some broccoli.

Mostly because I love food. (Who doesn't?!)

This got me thinking about some of my favorite recipes. I rarely follow recipes. I started using them as a basis for my cooking and then just ignored them. However, with the increased caloric intake (or maybe just an increase in the fiber & protein) mandated by my doing boot camp, I decided to revisit my cookbooks, blogs, and a few websites for recipes.

Some of my favorites this week:
1. Epicurious. It's quick, easy, and has a ginormous catalog. Check out the black bean and tomato quinoa. I make it using black quinoa (it's prettier!) and grape tomatoes cut in half.  
2. Mark Bittman's How To Cook Everything Vegetarian. It's great to be in Mark's kitchen because he knows how to make foods lively again. Black bean salad? Great. Try it one of these nine-jillion ways. (I did the black bean and corn one on page 74 most recently.)
3. Smitten Kitchen. I want to eat at Deb's house every day. She makes the process of making food look glorious.
(In fact, I am going to make her flatbread with honey, thyme and sea salt directly after this now.)
x.

No comments:

Post a Comment